Leaving obesity uncontrolled can lead to serious health risks.
OBESITY HAS SERIOUS HEALTH RISKS
Having obesity is one of the leading risk factors for ill health in Australia.1
Your physical health, mental health, quality of life and social wellbeing can be affected.1-2
Obesity is the leading cause of preventable health loss in Australia.3
- Australian Institute of Health and Welfare 2017. Impact of overweight and obesity as a risk factor for chronic conditions: Australian Burden of Disease Study. Available at https://www.aihw.gov.au/reports/burden-of-disease/impact-of-overweight-and-obesity-as-a-risk-factor-for-chronic-conditions/contents/table-of-contents, Accessed September 2019.
- RACGP.Obesity prevention and management position statement 2019. Available at https://www.racgp.org.au/FSDEDEV/media/documents/RACGP/Position%20statements/Obesity-prevention-and-management.pdf, accessed September 2019.
- RACP. Action to prevent obesity and reduce its impact across the life course – Evidence Review. 2018. Available at https://www.racp.edu.au/docs/default-source/advocacy-library/racp-obesity-position-statement.pdf. Accessed December 2019
- The Obesity Collective. Obesity Evidence Hub.Health impacts of Obesity: an overview. Available at https://www.obesityevidencehub.org.au/collections/impacts/health-impacts-of-obesity, Accessed September 2019.
- National Health and Medical Research Council (2013). Clinical practice guidelines for the management of overweight and obesity in adults, adolescents and children in Australia. Available at https://www.nhmrc.gov.au/about-us/publications/clinical-practice-guidelines-management-overweight-and-obesity, accessed September 2019.
- Bray G, et al. The Science of Obesity Management: An Endocrine Society Scientific Statement. Obesity Rev. 2018; 39; 79-132
- Moussa A, et al. Mortality of the Severely Obese. Ann Surg 2019; 269: 1087–91.
- The Obesity Collective 2019. Weighing in: Australia’s growing obesity epidemic. Available at https://static1.squarespace.com/static/57e9ebb16a4963ef7adfafdb/t/5c9a8961f4e1fc9deceb1ae4/1553631602322/Obesity+Collective_Australias+Growing+Obesity+Epidemic+report+27+03+19.pdf, Accessed Sept 2019.
- Jung F and Luck-Sikorski C, Overweight and Lonely? A Representative Study on Loneliness in Obese People and Its Determinants. Obes Facts (2019) 12:440–447.
- Puhl R, et al. Overcoming Weight Bias in the Management of Patients With Diabetes and Obesity.Clin Diabetes 2016; 34(1): 44–50.
- Ul-haq Z, et al. Meta-Analysis of the Association Between Body Mass Index and Health-Related Quality of Life Among Adults, Assessed by the SF-36. Obesity 2013; 21(3): e322–7.
- Tomiyama A. Weight stigma is stressful. A review of evidence for the Cyclic Obesity/Weight-Based Stigma model, Appetite 82 (2014) 8–15.